In this instalment of Live Well Learn Well’s Greenspace series, we take a leisurely stroll around Williamson Park, allowing us to take in the natural and architectural beauty that the park has to offer.
Williamson Park is one of Lancaster’s absolute treasures. Home to the iconic Ashton Memorial, the Butterfly House, Pavilion Cafe, charming woodland walks and spectacular views to the Fylde Coast, Morecambe Bay and the Lake District, Williamson Park is not a place to be missed. Luckily for UofC students, it is situated only meters away from the Wyresdale Road entrance to the University Campus.
This circular walk takes around 25-40 minutes (depending on your pace) and is great if you’re looking for a ‘pick-me-up’ lunchtime walk from the campus. There are also multiple picnic spots to choose from if you fancy stopping for a bite to eat while taking in the parks’ splendour.
- Exit the University via Wyresdale Road (passing the Sports Complex). Cross the road and enter Williamson Park (you won’t miss the grand entrance).
- Follow the main path, this will lead you pass the pond and fountain and to the bottom of Ashton Memorial.
- Keep following the lower main path, taking in the breath-taking views.
- You will get to a point where you can either turn left and exit the park or turn right into woodland. Turn right on to the woodland path.
- Follow the woodland path and you will arrive at the Quernmore Road main entrance to the park. Turn right and follow the main path back into the park.
- On this path you will pass Fenham Carr, a woodland area which offers a pretty extension of the walk if you have a bit more time.
- Once you’ve passed Fenham Carr, you will arrive at the Pavilion Café and Ashton Memorial.
- Take the path which leads around the side of the café and behind Ashton Memorial. This path will eventually bring you back to the Wyresdale Road entrance.
There are lots of things to do in Williamson Park, as there is a cafe, mini zoo, butterfly house, and in summer they often have music festivals, open air theatre. There is also a #ParkRun event each weekend if you want to meet other 5K runners of all ages and abilities.
[…] at 9am which is a great way to keep fit and meet new people. Not sure where to start? Visit our Greenspaces blog which details a simple walk around the park to help you get your bearings. […]